Wave-Field – outdoor digital art installation
OPEN CALL / DEADLINE: Sunday 10 November 2019
Cheshire East Council, SHIFT and QuaysCulture are delighted to announce this exciting opportunity for residents of Greater Manchester and Cheshire East.
Wave-Field is an internationally renowned artwork produced by Lateral Office and CS Design with soundscape by Mitchell Akiyama. As part of a UK tour, L4 will present their interactive seesaw installation Wave-Field in Crewe and Salford Quays. Created by an award-winning team, Wave-Field is a publicly-activated light and sound experience which has been exhibited worldwide. Wave-Field intends to make art accessible to all through the playful nature of the work.
The presentation of Wave-Field in Crewe will take place from 21 November – 1 December 2019, which coincides with Crewe Town Council’s LUMEN festival on 29 November. LUMEN is Crewe’s Night of Lights, a free event for all the family which will transform, illuminate and animate Crewe town centre with breathtaking performances, installations and projections. LUMEN is produced in collaboration with ArtReach and DoubleTake Projections.
Wave-Field’s tour to Crewe and Salford Quays represents a new partnership between Cheshire East Council and QuaysCulture. QuaysCulture produces the annual Lightwaves festival at MediaCityUK consisting of new and existing light art commissions. This year it will take place from 6 – 15 December 2019 and Wave-Field will be a key highlight of the festival.
The Wave-Field Ambassadors Programme is open to anyone living in Greater Manchester or Cheshire East who is interested in gaining hands on experience in digital arts and outdoor events. The opportunity will provide training for individuals who will participate in a series of workshops in the lead up to Wave-Field. Ambassadors will then play an active role in the delivery and audience engagement of Wave-Field during its tour to Salford Quays and Crewe, working closely with L4, QuaysCulture and Cheshire East Council staff.
The aim of the programme is to embed some of the learning from this ambitious art-science collaboration in Cheshire East and Greater Manchester, by building participants’ skills and confidence as digital art communicators / advocates.
If you are interested in volunteering in Crewe without attending the training please contact [email protected].
As a Wave-Field Ambassador you will receive:
- 2 x day training sessions and workshops in November 2019 delivered by Cheshire East Council, L4, QuaysCulture and ArtReach
- Insight and practical resources in creating digital art and outdoor event production
- Opportunity to attend and volunteer at inspiring events including LUMEN and Lightwaves at Salford Quays
- Individual guidance and peer to peer support
- Expenses to support travel and subsistence costs to participate in the programme
You will be expected to:
- Bring an enthusiasm to learn and engage with the programme, and share this with the wider Cheshire East and Greater Manchester community
- Further visitors’ enjoyment of attending Wave-Field by helping them to understand the artwork, how it works and how it was created
- Help us build the next stage of the programme by telling us what worked and what didn’t work
Cheshire East Ambassadors should be available to participate in the follow dates:
- Sunday 17 Nov Event Management Training with CEC, production presentation from L4 and Quays Culture, Creative Producing Masterclass with ArtReach @ Lyceum Theatre, Crewe 2pm-5pm
- 21 Nov-1 Dec Wave-Field in Crewe*
*ambassadors should have good availability in this period, including weekend dates
- 29 November LUMEN in Crewe
Cheshire East Ambassadors also have the option to attend
- 6-15 December Lightwaves at Salford Quays
Greater Manchester Ambassadors should be available to participate in the follow dates:
- Sunday 17 Nov Event Management Training with CEC, production presentation from L4 and Quays Culture and Creative Producing Masterclass with ArtReach @ Lyceum Theatre, Crewe 2pm-5pm
- 6-15 December Lightwaves at Salford Quays*
*ambassadors must be available to participate in a minimum of 2 of the event days
Greater Manchester Ambassadors also have the option to attend:
- 29 November LUMEN in Crewe
- Atomic 3 talk/workshop TBC
- The opportunity is open to anyone over the age of 18 living in Cheshire East or Greater Manchester, who has an interest in gaining hands on experience with digital arts and outdoor events.
- We specifically encourage applications from young people (18+) and adults who are out of work.
- Ambassadors will be working outdoors in all weathers during the presentation of Wave-Field. You must be fit enough to be able to stand or sit outside for several hours in all weathers. Shifts will last up to 5 hours. Shelter will be provided in the event of poor weather.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted via email to [email protected] and deadline for applications is 10 November 2019. Applications must include the following:
- CV (no more than 2 x A4 pages)
- Short statement about yourself and why you are interested in the opportunity (no more than 200 words)
- Please make us aware of any access or additional needs or requirements you have, which may help us plan to ensure you can fully benefit from the programme (if selected)
For any queries relating to your submission, or you require assistance to participate in the submission process, for example due to disability, please contact [email protected]