Northern Artist Film Commission
OPEN CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Deadline for proposals: Fri 15 July 2019
Quays Culture and University of Salford Art Collection invite artists living and working in the North of England to submit a proposal for a new artist film.
Following the successful pilot project in 2016, won by Sam Meech and Chris Paul Daniels, artists are invited to submit proposals for a new artist film they would like to produce. The successful artist film will be co-commissioned by Quays Culture and the University of Salford Art Collection, to premiere at Lightwaves festival (6-15 December 2019) at Salford Quays and for acquisition into the University’s permanent art collection.
One Square Mile by Sam Meech and Chris Paul Daniels was premiered at the Lightwaves 2016 and has subsequently been presented in numerous exhibitions including: AirSpace Gallery (Stoke, UK), HOME (Manchester, UK), Synthetic Ecology (Brighton, UK), Flatpack Festival (Birmingham, UK), Channels Festival (Melbourne, AU), BIDEODROMO Festival (Bilbao, SP), This Way Up (Hull, UK), Polyrhythmia (Manchester, UK) and Altinbas University (Istanbul, TR).
We are looking for artists and filmmakers based in the North of England who are pushing the boundaries in artist film, producing new, inspirational and challenging work, to be part of a contemporary festival that captures the imagination of the public, many of whom would be new to artist film.
The premiere will be exhibited as a free public screening event at Lightwaves in December 2019. Following this premiere, a copy of the winning new commission will become part of the University of Salford Art Collection.
The award is £3000, to include artist fees, all production costs and presentation of an edition of the film to the University Art Collection. There is an additional modest budget, held by Quays Culture that will cover the costs of presenting the work at Lightwaves. Both Quays Culture and the University Art Collection are committed to promoting the work as part of the Lightwaves Festival.
The call is open to all professional artists living in the North of England, who can demonstrate relevant experience and are able to achieve the commission within the dates specified.
Collectives are welcome to apply however there is only one fee.
All proposals must meet the following criteria:
- Proposal for a brand new work that is suited to the brief and intended audience
- Demonstrate a clear ability to realise and deliver the final work to Quays Culture within the allocated budget and by Fri 8 Nov 2019
- Not engage in any screening prior to this date, online or at other physical locations
- The final film should be short in length and designed to be played on a loop
- Made by artists residing currently in North of England, i.e. North West, North East and Yorkshire & Humberside.
- Suitable for daytime screening to an all-ages audience
- Artists must hold the copyright and accept sole liability for the audio and visual content of their film
The winner of the selected proposal will be notified by 31 July 2019.
How To Enter
Please submit a maximum two-page proposal in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading Northern Artist Film Commission, detailing the following:
- A summary of the idea in response to the given brief
- A simple outline of how you plan to realise the idea practically
- An overview of your career to date as an artist and / or film-maker
- Web links to examples of your previous works
The selection panel will be chaired by Lindsay Taylor (Curator, University of Salford Art Collection), and will include (Jennifer Taylor, Programme Producer, Quays Culture), Chris Paul Daniels (Artist and previous winner). Further panel members to be confirmed.
Find out more
Further information about University of Salford Art Collection can be found here: https://artcollection.salford.ac.uk